ScienceWorks

Level 4 students went to ScienceWorks and had an amazing time.

We wrote recounts about our favourite parts of the excursion. Please read about our excursion and give us feedback.

We have been focusing on recounts, paragraphs, sentences and spelling.

We hope you enjoy them,

Grade 5 and 6 MP

76 thoughts on “ScienceWorks

1. Science Works

When I arrived at school I was so excited. We were finally going to Science Works. So the whole 5/6s went, it was so fun on the bus I sat next to Taymin.
    we catch upped about our holidays.

When we arrived to Science Works we went to the discovery area were you had to use your brain and your hands some were easy as 1, 2 & 3 but some were hard like learning how to read. Then we went to the lighting show (I was the first person in line) 4AP discovered that a car and plane protects you from lighting because of its metal barrier.

Then we ate lunch and set of to cool stuff were there liquid nitrogen when. Daniel pored the liquid nitrogen into a bowl of washing liquid the bubbles came out and froze into icy bubbles. After that 4AP went to the sports
    area to find out that we weren’t aloud there till 1:00 so we waited till 1:00.

Excitedly we scarily walked to the body test area this was our finial activity that was a bit sad. So I went to verse Cathy Freeman and I won by ten seconds I’m a pro.

It was time to go it was so upsetting for me and 4AP. So I said good by to the workers and went on the bus which was big. I arrived at St. E’s school and talked about what we learnt.
    By Tanaiya

• Hi Tanaiya ,
      I really enjoyed reading your story about ScienceWorks.
      It was detailed and had lots of description about what we did !
      You could focus on your punctuation such as commas and full stops where you need them.
      You also had minor spelling errors , but they must have been an accident.
      Other than that your recount was great , keep up the great writing.
      From Maddie

• Hi Tanaiya,

Wow! I loved your recount it was very informative and you mention everything we did. Thanks for mentioning in it, I had fun sitting next to you for the record. Next time maybe add some more descriptive words, but that’s all! Keep up the good work!

From: Taymin

• Dear Tanaiya,

Your recount was very descriptive, I liked how you described the discovery area. How some bits were hard and some bits were easy.

From Shannon.

• Dear Tanaiya,
      I love your recount. It looks like you had so much fun in Science Works. Maybe next time you could write about just one thing. But other than that I loved it.
      By Sachini

• Dear Tanaiya ,

It’s great that you enjoyed Science-works and had many favourite parts at the excursion but you could work on your puntuation .

from Rose

2. Science works

On Tuesday the 23 of July level 4 went to science works it was great fun we saw the lightning room where we learnt about lightning and we saw a show called the cool stuff. It was fun I had so much fun I loved learning about new thing it was amazing.

When we arrived at science works we had a quick snack and when we were done we went inside and saw old thing and had a go at doing it I thought it was great. I had a go at everything that was in the room but I couldn’t do everything but I had a try at something I had allot of fun I enjoyed myself I talk to someone on an old woke tiki then I played with sounds I made different beats and sounds .

After that we went to the lighting room I made a clouded using dust water and air but we made it in a bottle we got to see real lighting and we learnt allot of intrusting fact about lining but when we saw the lighting we had to block our ears because it was too loud and then we went to see another show called cool stuff we learnt about liquid nitrogen and what it does and to always have protective gear when you use it.

Then we had lunch and you had to finish everything and after we went to the sports arena and there is a place where you can vs. cathead freeman it was the best I did so many things I was about to go bonkers I had so much fun I was amazed I could do so many thing.

When it was time to go back I was so tied I fell asleep in the bus I woke up when we got back to school. Once I got home I slept for the whole day I had the most magnificent day even tho I have already been there but not with my class so I had a great time with all my friends I learnt so many facts on the excursion I had such a wonderful time.

From Rose

• Dear Rose,

It’s great that you enjoyed Science-works and had many favourite parts at the excursion. But you need to stick with one favourite part. Besides that, it’s a great recount.

Hiep

• Dear Rose,

I really enjoyed your recount it gave me a lot of information that was relevant. Maybe you could focus on making your sentences shorter by adding commas and putting in what is relevant.

Other than that it was a great recount.

From Bianca

3. Dear Everyone,
    This is my recount of ScienceWorks,

ScienceWorks Excursion

It was Tuesday the 23rd of July all the Level 4s went to ScienceWorks for the day. We were going to learn about Solids, liquids and gases and many other Science experiments. We got there by bus and it took us about an hour to get there. Many other schools also went that day which wasn’t good since the place would be crowded.
    First, we had our snack in the eating area and then made our way to a place where they had a lot of interactive machines. My favourite one was the Plasma Ball because when you touch it an electric bolt is made and when you move your finger around the Plasma Ball the bolt follows it. Then we went to the Lightning Room and some people were chosen to go down and try experiments.
    Then, near the end of the show the presenters made lightning bolts and the sound was SUPER loud. It gave me a headache after the show. When the show finished we had lunch and then went to another show called Cool Stuff. The presenter Daniel was really funny and random. He showed us cool experiments and used dangerous stuff like liquid nitrogen which freezes things all I can say was that the show was very interesting.
    The last place we visited was the SportsWorks (sports centre) and it was also really cool. I spent most of my time handballing to the target which was addictive for me. I even kicked it into the target too. I tried: being a goalie, beating Cathy Freeman’s record, snowboarding and rock climbing. It was really awesome.
    Finally, we all left and made our way back to school. It was the 2nd time I went there as a school. It was a bit sad that some areas were not opened. But that’s okay because I can’t wait to go back soon. It was a great experience and a great excursion.

From Daniel

4. Science works recount 29/7/13 Kevin
    On Tuesday the 23rd of July the level 4s went on a excursion to Science works .We got there on 2 big busses .It took us about an hour to get there it seemed like it was going to take for ever to get there.
    When we got there we ate our snack. Then we decided to check all the electronics out. There were lots of weird stuff and also some cool stuff as well. They had a wind powered light, you had to spin this thing and there would be a light shining .I could barely keep count of what we did there.
    Then we went to the lightning room. It looked really cool because there was this big cage and behind it there were lots of things like fake people. First the lady made a c loud out of the bottle by putting some water and pumping some air in it .the thing that I really liked was how she made lightning and it hit the fake people and they got electrocuted.
    We had our lunch and went to a stage where this man was doing lots of cool stuff with liquid nitrogen. The temperature of liquid nitrogen is more than -250 degrees Celsius he basically froze thins so they became harder. The thing that was really cool was how he made a glue tag nail become similar to a real one.
    Finally we went to the sports area and the exercise area. That was the highlight for me. First I decided to play the game called be the goalie, what you had to do was save the goal .I think that science works is one of the best places because I learnt a lot from it and I even know that now I can pull 50 kgs. Science works is the best place for science.

• Science works recount 29/7/13 Kevin

We had our lunch and went to a stage where this man was doing lots of cool stuff with liquid nitrogen. The temperature of liquid nitrogen is more than -250 degrees Celsius he basically froze thins so they became harder. The thing that was really cool was how he made a glue tag nail become similar to a real one
      .

• Dear Kevin,

My favourite part was also the lightning room.I liked how you put a lot of information, but you’re ment to write about one thing in ScienceWorks.

From Ethan

• Dear Kevin,

My favourite part was also the lightning room because I made a cloud. I was so amazed of what I did but you need to write about one thing in each paragraph.

from Rose

5. ​​Ethan 4MP 30/7/13
    Science Works Lightning Show

On Tuesday the level 4’s went to Science Works, everything was amazing but my favourite part was the lightning show. First they showed us how to make a cloud, and then they showed us how static electricity works, then they showed how music can control lightning with a tesla and finally they showed us what can get electrocuted and what cant.

Firstly, they showed us how you can make a cloud in your own home. Rose from our class was an assistant, they said that what you need to make a cloud was a bottle with a little bit of water, some dust spray and a pump. Rose sprayed some dust into the bottle then pumped it five times when she took out the pump the big cloud came out!

Then, they showed us how static electricity works, Alana from 4va was an assistant this time. There was a big metal globe with a belt running against it. When Alana was standing next to it, her hair started to rise up really high! Everyone was laughing.

After that they showed us how the tone of music can change the shape of lightning, so everyone had to block their ears. First there was some loud and fast music and the lightning started to shake really fast, then there was some slow soft music and the lightning was in one place staying still. Everyone was amazed.

Finally they showed us what gets electrocuted and what doesn’t there was a plane, a car, a man holding a golf stick, a girl under a tree and woman under a shed. When they turned on the lighting machine there was a lot of lightning it was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen!
    After that the whole level 4 quickly ran to the bus to go back. So during the show a learnt a lot of things about lightning, now I’m really interested into it. Science Works was the best excursion I’ve ever been to!

• Dear Ethan,

Your recount is really great. It’s also gives some information which can encourage others to come. But there is one thing that doesn’t really make sense.

It’s the part where you said, ‘After that showed us how the tone of the music can change the shape of lightning, so we had to block our ears.’ I don’t really think that’s the reason why you had to. I suggest you look back into what happened at that time. Anyway, it’s a good recount.

Hiep

• Dear Ethan,

It’s the part where you said, ‘After that showed us how the tone of the music can change the shape of lightning, so we had to block our ears.’ I don’t really think that’s the reason why you had to. I suggest you look back into what happened at that time. Anyway, it’s a really great recount of you have there.

Hiep

6. Science Work

It was finally the day. The day all the level 4 students had been waiting for. It was the day of our excursion the level 4 teachers had planned. We were all so excited. We were going on a excursion to Science Works. I was looking really forward to it ever since my sister who was telling me how fun and interesting it was going to be. We got a little snack each put it in our pocket and went off to go on the bus.

It was a long trip but we finally got there. We ate a bit and set off to explore Science Works. Firstly we went to go explore things in a room with science things I didn’t really know what they were but I went to explore, my favourite thing there was this type of magnet type game where you had a magnet and you could control it. It was an interesting place but I didn’t get a good look at everything because I was playing the magnet game for the whole time.

We went to the Lightning Room, we were all lining up outside ready to go in. We came in and we learnt about a lot of things such as how lightning is formed and other facts about lightning. The thing I enjoyed a lot was the static electricity when Alana went up and her hair was flying towards the static energy. We all had a good laugh but were hungry and went to have our lunch.

We ate a lot and set off to go to the Cool Stuff show. The man who was performing the show was named ‘Daniel’ he used a lot liquid nitrogen all told us a lot off facts. I found out that most of the things he put in with liquid nitrogen turned into a solid, which is state if change. Something we had learnt in school changes of state I got really interested in the things we learnt there.

Lastly we went to Sports Works which was a place that was about science but sport too. There was a place where you could race Cathy Freeman and a friend, but I got 1 go at it because I wanted to explore more things not to just do 1 thing over and over again. There were lots of things to explore there. I got really sweaty from running around, I was sweating like a rain storm. I got shocked by one of the mums who called me and told my to line up. We went on the bus heading back to school.

It was all over the awesome experience at Science Works was over, but we had to end off going back to school.

By Steven

• Dear Steven,

Your recount is great as you put in things that related to the recount. I also like how you told us your favourite parts of each section.

Maybe next time you could focus on adding more description. But other than that it was a great recount.

From Bianca

7. Dear Everyone,
    This is my recount of ScienceWorks,

ScienceWorks Excursion

From Daniel

• Dear Daniel,

Your recount was very interesting and was set out well. You also put one event per paragraph and used sentence starters.

Great Job.

From Bianca

8. Science works
    29/7/13

Last Tuesday all the level fours went to science works for our excursion. Everyone was so excited we went there on a big bus. There was lots of cool stuff.It was so loud in the bus it made me have a headache. I was sitting right at the back with my friends Rose, Mary and Holly. When we got there the teachers let us have our snacks I had some doritoz and a jam roll hmm…….yummy.

First we saw all these cool stuff and we got to play on them. I found this telephone which had people talking in it, it was freaky. Then I saw a walkie talkie and there was an another one on the other side and it when I talked in it I could hear it in the other walkie talkie and it was cool. After I saw lots more cool stuff. Then we went to the lightning room and they talked were the lightning hits and stuff like that.

Then we went to have our lunch I only had bread and jam booooo…….hooooooo. After lunch we went to the science lab to watch things about solids, liquids and gases. We had lots of fun there, but when we came out it was our turn to go to the sports area but there was another school there and they said that we were too early so we went out side to the playground.

After that, we went to the sports area it was fun. We did lots of cool stuff there was something That you jump on and you put hands on something and the machine counts your pulse.There was something were you put your legs straight and and you push this thing with you push and it says how long I pushed it. There was something were they countdown from three and when they reach one and it says jump they tell us how high we jumped. There was a football area were you had to be a goals and cath the ball the people kick in 3D.

Then we got ready to go everyone was sad because we were leaving because we enjoyed it a lot there everyone was making a big fuzz because we were leaving I wanted more time outside because when we went outside before going to the sports area I saw the playground and when I started playing we had to go and I got a bit upset and now i am even more upset because we are leaving Ohhh….noooo.

When we got back to school we took the roll and we gave out people’s plastic bags they took and were talking about what we enjoyed And didn’t enjoy that much but I bet you everyone had lots and lots of fun Yeah!!!

• Hi Neha,
      Your recount was good. I liked how you described the sports area. The only bad thing was your puntuation. It made your story not make sense. But it was really good otherwise.
      From, Holly1

9. How Science Works

We arrived at Science-works and we looked amazed. Some of us had remembered going to to Science-works in grade 1 and 2. We had ate our snack at Science-works’ lunch area. After we did that, our teachers assigned us to our mothers and we went off.

My favourite part at Science-works was the ‘Cool Stuff’ show. It was my favourite part because the man that was named Daniel, was hilarious and childish. Even though he was, he was very careful about the experimenta he did. I thought it would be hard to play around and be careful at the same time.

The ‘Cool Stuff’ show was about our last term ERP project about matter. Matter is everything in the entire galaxy. (Well, maybe not space because there’s no air in space, and air is a gas, and gas is a form of matter.) Matter can take three different forms, solid, liquid, and gas. I guessed our teachers knew matter was like science, guess it was a good idea to go to Science-works.

The interesting thing about the ‘Cool Stuff’ show was that it involved liquid nitrogen. We were told that liquid nitrogen was minus sixty degrees, that sure is cold! He made some experiments using liquid nitrogen, they did some, interesting things to some objects be also used with the liquid nitrogen.

So that is it, we went to Science-works, did lots of stuff, and went back to school. Teachers asked us to share our highlights at Science-works, so we did, very loudly we were stopped in seconds. A week later after we went to Science-works, the teachers made us do a recount about our favourite part at Science-works, that is all.

Hiep

10. Science Works
    Intro:
    It was a beautiful morning outside of science works; the grade 5’s and 6’s
    were all really excited about exploring and learning new things at science
    works. The Date was the 23rd of July and a good day it was to be at
    science works. We were all jumping around and really happy about this
    school excursion. As we walked inside everyone was ready to start
    exploring.
    Everyone was running around and pressing all the buttons and seeing what
    they did. Then rushing to the next one and slamming down on them. After
    about 20 minutes the teachers called all of us and told everyone that we
    were about to watch the lightning show. Everybody sprinted to their
    guardian and were exited to watch the show.
    Their mum led them to the theatre where they counted the # of students
    they had. Once the doors to the theatre opened all the kids rushed to try
    and get the best spots. They all then waited for the show to start. As
    soon as the show started all the kids were silence. The lady that was
    hosting the show firstly talked about how lightning is created and showed
    us footage about it. After that she got to the interesting parts!
    She then explained to us how to make a cloud with only the following
    ingredients/ materials: big coke bottle, dust, water and a pump. After,
    she demonstrated it, BANG WABAM. There was a loud explosion as the bottle
    filled up with clear luminous mist. Everyone thought that was interesting
    so she made more loud noises including. Making lightning from this giant
    machine and demonstrating things that would be safe from lightning and
    what wouldn’t be safe. One of the other things that she told us was that
    if you were close to lightning your hair would stand up. The lady proved
    it by showing it to us on a person from the crowed. The girl’s hair was
    floating in mid air.
    After the show we got to do some more wandering around the same area but
    we got to explore the things that we didn’t get to see. Then the cycle
    went on again running around slamming down buttons and then going to the
    next. We had lots of fun!
    By Jack

• Dear Jack,

You have a great story and great description in that story. Try to not get excited and type random words like ‘WABAM’. On the bright side, it’s got great description.

Hiep

11. Science Works

On Tuesday we went to excursion to science works it was really fun,
    What I liked the best was the lightning show and the cool stuff show their were
    other stuff to, we got to look at tons of science things.

I liked the lightning show because it was really fun and interesting there were
    really loud sounds because of the lightning, and we even got to see actual
    lightning! It was really incredible, they also told us if someone is safe or not
    safe, one of the lightning machines made different colours, they were incredible!
    They made the colour green, white, blue,and purple.

I liked the cool stuff show because the experiments are really cool and interesting,
    I like how when you mix detergent and water and then you pour the liquid nitrogen it
    Bubbles and the mixture will turn into ice.There were also so much cool experiments
    Like one were you put blutack into the liquid nitrogen and then it hardens then you
    Can hammer it, it was really cool.

I liked all of the cool machines there, especially the one that your join hands, and
    Electricity goes through your body! There was also a piano there as well! We got to
    Go into the cardboard pictures and stick our faces inside. We also got to go to the
    Sports room and it was so fun!

Science works was really fun but my favourite part was the cool stuff show, but
    although everything was very fun.

Melanie

• Dear Melanie,

I really enjoyed your recount. You talked about all the wonderful things we did. I think you could improve on your vocabulary and punctuation.

From Kim

12. Kim
    Recount about Science Works

Science Works

On Thursday 23rd of July we on our way to Science Works. The whole level four were going on this excretion with me. When we finally got there we walked out of the bus and walked our way to science works. I saw many other schools.

As we walked into Science Works I was so excited, I’ve been waiting for this moment for a while. There was beautiful art works on the cream coloured wall. It looked really nice. The kind lady took us to a place where we could eat our play lunch. After we had eaten our play lunch we went up stairs where we could play on all the games. Then we went to the lightning room. We got to see the lightning move in slow motion. That was really fun. It was so fascinating to see how lightning moved in all different ways. My favourite part was when Alana’s hair stood up high because of the static.

When the lightning show had finished we went to Cool Stuff which was another show we got to watch. The show was mainly about changes of state. The presenter was named Daniel, he was really funny. He used a lot of liquid nitrogen to freeze things up, it was really cool. My favourite part was when Daniel got some people to make a nail out of blue tack. Then he cut half of an banana and froze the top of the banana in liquid nitrogen, he also froze one of the nails. Then he used the banana as a hammer and nailed the nail into the styrofoam. That was my most favourite part of the day. After that we had our lunch and went out to play on the playground.

After playing outside we went to the sport section. I played netball in a small area where I just needed to shoot in the hoop. I took my wait and saw that I look some kilograms. I watch how long people could balance and they were all better than me, it was harder than it looked think (trust me). I looked at my pulse and I looked at how hard my grip was. My favourite part of being in the sport section was when I got to run against Kathy Fremon, I won every race I did.

Then it was home time. We packed up and went back on the bus to go to school. On the way back to school I sat with my friend Ellie. We talked about our family’s and our lives. We played games and nearly fell asleep, luckily we were back at school before I did. We made it just n time for the bell to ring. I went home, had my dinner and went to bed.

13. Dear Bloggers,

This is my recount for Scienceworks.

Last week Tuesday level 4’s went on an excursion to Scienceworks. We were going because we had been learning about solids, liquids and gases during E.R.P. But it was also an excursion were we could learn lots of new and exciting things.

Firstly we went to the lighting show were we learnt all about lighting. A lady who ran the show her name was Susan. She first showed us how static works and asked if she could have a volunteer. Alana was picked and asked to stand next to a machine which was operated by a stainless steel ball and a belt which were rubbing against each other which created static. Alana’s hair started rising and moving away from her. She then showed us real lighting and how safe it is to people in safe or dangerous situations.

Next we went to a show called Cool Stuff were a man named Danielle talked to us about solids, liquids and gases. He also taught us about liquid nitrogen. He showed us what would happen if he poured hot water into a glass bottle and put it into a bowl of cold water. Then he put a balloon over the top and suddenly the balloon was expanding. He also asked two girls to role blue tack into a shape of a nail. He then took a banana and the nails and dropped them into nitrogen. When he pulled them out he tested the nails to see if they could go through polystyrene. He used the banana as a hammer and it magically went through. It was a amazing show and he made us laugh.

We then went to a section called Sportsworks which was a really fun section. There were lots of things to do such as running race, soccer goalie, snowboarding and health section. I went to one of the activities were two people could race Kathy freeman. I then played a snowboarding game were you go snowboarding on mountains. That was one of my favourites in the Sportsworks section.

Lastly we explored outside were we ran around and played with our friends. We then packed up our belongings and hopped onto the bus. It was a long drive back to school. But overall I had a fun, adventurous day.

From Bianca

• Dear Bianca,

I like very enjoyed your recount, because you put alot of information.I found that you spelled Daniel wrong your spelled Danielle.

From Ethan

14. Science Works
    Intro:
    exploring.

she demonstrated it, BANG WABAM. There was a loud explosion as the bottle filled up with clear luminous mist.

Everyone thought that was interesting
    floating in mid air.

next. We had lots of fun!

By Jack

15. Sciencework
    On the 23rd of July 2013 all of Level 4 went to Sciencework in Spotswood by bus to get there. One of main things we went to sciencework’s for was to learn about solids liquid and gases. Because we have been doing it in our ERP last term and we were also there to learn about energy.
    On the morning of the 23rd of July 2013 all Level 4 was preparing to go to sciencework we were all in our classrooms and the teacher was marking the role to see who was here. After that we all went outside and lined up outside the buses where we boarded the bus and we were on our way to Sciencework.
    When we arrived at Sciencework we ate our recess before we entered Sciencework when we came to the centre of Sciencework a man was telling us to not to do stuff while inside like “No eating or drinking while inside of science work while inside of Sciencework.
    When we entered Sciencework we went into a room with lots of exhibits like a Morse code machine and a bicycle powered radio after that we went to the lighting room. In the lightning room it was really loud sometimes when the crushed the can or when they activated the electrical tesla. We had to block our ears when those things happened.
    After that we went to a cool stuff show where a man named Daniel showed us a lot of things like Pouring liquid nitrogen over a ballon, rubber ball and a blue tack that look like a nail he also said that we must not touch any liquid nitrogen that is spilt on to the floor even if we are tempted to touch it.
    After the cool stuff show we went to the sports work i really enjoyed the Cathy Freeman Running area and the 3-D soccer goalie and I got 1 goal but I didn’t get 3 goals. I also enjoyed the strength tester and I think I got 40 or above kg and I enjoyed that.
    After going to the Sportswork we went to buses to go back to St Elizabeth and I found out many things while on the excursion at Scienceworks and I enjoyed the excursion too.

• Dear David,

It’s great you enjoyed what Science-works have and had a great time. But I think you need to rephrase this, ‘ In the lightning room it was really loud sometimes when the crushed the can…’ It’s great anyway.

Hiep

• Dear David,

I really enjoyed your recount.you spelled a couple of things wrong, and you’re ment to write one thing about ScienceWorks.

From Ethan

16. Nicholas,

Science Work’s – On 23rd Of July the whole of level 4 caught a bus to go Science Work’s. Once we got there we ate a snack later that day we went into the lighting room every 1 said ahhhhh! IM GONNA DIE IM SCARD sarcastically before we entered. Later once we entered every 1 settled down and started to relax.

After that we went into the sports section there was rock climbing ,running race’s and lot’s of more fun stuff to do I mostly liked the running.

Then we went into the cool stuff it was pretty interesting with the nitrogen water how it deflated the balloon and a lot of more cool stuff like how it happens and all.

Last we all went back on the bus and went back to school so we could go home after a while.

17. Mary.k. Science works
    When we went on our extorion we went to science work it was very exsiting for me . I loved the liting room .

In the liting room we lant were the liting will go on still and mack more power and it will letry cut you if you we’re under stell . We learnt how dos music can mack it so powerfull it was so intrsting that I wanted to whack more.

One of the girls went up and went next to a server ball and it was very powerful it lift hair it was so funny . I wanted to have a try but I don’t have long hair. When the liting started she said put your hands on your ear so I Did it . I took my hands off and it was so lowed that I nealy got deff .

I hope I go there agen . From Mary.k.

18. Scienceworks Excursion (BOLT FROM THE BLUE)

Last Tuesday level 5/6 along with teachers and parent helpers all went to
    Scienceworks for an excursion which was really interesting. Scienceworks
    is a large centre in Spotswood with science stalls and rooms. My favourite
    part of the whole experience was the lightning show or “Bolt from the
    Blue”.

We all sat in a large theatre room with chairs and a stage. Behind the
    stage was a large closed wire fence with mannequins and experimental props
    .The host was a lady called Suzie and she taught us all about what
    lightning is and why we have it. She demonstrated experiments with static
    electricity and how lighting can affect us depending on where we are
    standing.

Firstly, Suzie showed us a piece of melting sand that was hit by
    lightning. It was very rough and crackly. One of my favourite parts of the
    show was when Suzie called for a volunteer and she chose Alana. Alana was
    told to take her hair out of the pony tail. Suzie then turned on a large
    silver ball with static electricity running through it. The static sphere
    was attracted to Alana’s hair and her hair started to raise and float in
    the air! It was really creepy and looked like it could have been used for
    a horror movie!

Another fantastic part of the show was when Jen (the light and effects
    personnel) turned on a switch which showed what might happen if you were
    in an airplane, a car, holding a golf club in the air , underneath a tree
    and standing in a wooden bus shelter and were struck by lightning (this
    was all demonstrated using mannequins.) Both the car and the airplane came
    out fine because of a protected insulation. The other mannequins were
    immediately struck by lightning. This is because of the attraction of
    either metal or the lightning chose an easier path, which was going throw
    the mannequin.

After the Bolt from the Blue presentation we all left the large, dark room
    blinded by the light. I had learnt a lot from my experience at Bolt from
    the Blue. Eager to explore more of Scienceworks, we ran outside happily
    ready to go to the sports centre.

19. The lightening room was over but it was really good. We were heading to cool stuff I was really looking forward to it,we walked to a bright, red and blue room and on his desk there was lots of things and finally I so liquid nitrigion and I was thrilled.We were lining up and we were ready to go and sit down, I was sitting in the front row the doors closed and there was a pattern on the wall the show was beginning.

The guy was very funny but at the time he was very smart to.He didn’t do anything with all those things on the table,he was telling us about many places which are freezing cold like Antarctica and many other places.

He told us about liquid ,solids and gasses I knew a lot about those things but now I know more now,he finally got up liquid nitrgion I was even more excited, he told us about all those things on his desk and how he’s going to use it.First he put liquid nitrgion with boiling water and and water actually froze I was amazed.

After he put more things into liquid nitrgion, he asked meto feel the a rubber ball and if it was rubbery and it was ,he put it in the liquid nitrgion and took it out but not with his hands other wise it will freeze his hand completely, he rapped the ball and bent down ,I was starting to wonder what is he doing but then he struck and started banging the ball as if he was bagging nails but even harder,the ball broke and it wasen’t rubbery anymore.I couldn’t take anymore surprises after that but I was willing to give it a short.

The show was nearly over but he did one more trick, he put liquid nitrogin with a banana and blue tack and hammered it on polistring and it worked.It was time for us to go to the sports room, we left the bright and colourful room. I had so much fun.
    From Molly

20. Science Works

The Lightening Show was over but I had a feeling that the next activity was going to be even better. For my surprise, it was.We had the Cool Stuff show. It was the 23rd of July when we went to Science Works. I was so exuberant when the excursion day came.

I sat down on my seat ready for the show to begin. We were greeted by a friendly scientist named Daniel. Beakers,funnels and testubs were sitting on his table waiting to be used. I thought that we could see how a Busen Burner works but there weren’t all the things we needed. Daniel joked around with us as he started to begin experiments.

One of my favourite experiments was when he made the bluetack stronger. First he told us to make the bluetack into 2 nut shapes.Then he smashed one on a polystyrene from a hammer made out of a banana. Obviously it broke. First I thought ‘What is he doing’ but when he showed me,I understood. From the other nut he kept it inside a bottle full of nitrogin. When he took it out he smashed it again. But this time it didn’t get squashed. It was hard as a nut.

He was very humerous. But I noticed that he was very smart. I loved the experiments he taught us. He explained all the experiments and why it reacts that way. I never knew that you could do so many interesting experiments with nitrogen. Daniel made a balloon shrink, make a rubber ball bigger and did other cool experiments.

The science show was over.There is so much things to learn in science. I hope I could learn more and do more experiments. It would be so exciting. But sadly, I had to go. We waved good bye to the scientist and walked out of the room. Maybe, I could come to Science Work some other time.
    By Sachini

21. Scienceworks Excursion (BOLT FROM THE BLUE)
    Last Tuesday level 5/6 along with teachers and parent helpers all went to Scienceworks for an excursion which was really interesting. Scienceworks is a large centre in Spotswood with science stalls and rooms. My favourite part of the whole experience was the lightning show or “Bolt from the Blue”.

We all sat in a large theatre room with chairs and a stage. Behind the stage was a large closed wire fence with mannequins and experimental props. The host was a lady called Suzie and she taught us all about what lightning is and why we have it.
    She demonstrated experiments with static electricity and how lighting can affect us depending on where we are standing.

Firstly, Suzie showed us a piece of melting sand that was hit by lightning. It was very rough and crackly. One of my favourite parts of the show was when Suzie called for a volunteer and she chose Alana. Alana was told to take her hair out of the pony tail. Suzie then turned on a large silver ball with static electricity running through it. The static sphere was attracted to Alana’s hair and her hair started to raise and float in the air! It was really creepy and looked like it could have been used for
    a horror movie!

Another fantastic part of the show was when Jen (the light and effects personnel) turned on a switch which showed what might happen if you were
    in an airplane, a car, holding a golf club in the air , underneath a tree and standing in a wooden bus shelter and were struck by lightning (this was all demonstrated using mannequins.) Both the car and the airplane came out fine because of a protected insulation.
    The other mannequins were immediately struck by lightning. This is because of the attraction of
    either metal or the lightning chose an easier path, which was going throw the mannequin.

After the Bolt from the Blue presentation we all left the large, dark room blinded by the light. I had learnt a lot from my experience at Bolt from the Blue. Eager to explore more of Scienceworks, we ran outside happily ready to go to the sports centre.

22. Science works Excursion
    On Tuesday I was so excited because the grade 5 and 6 were going to ScienceWorks so I quickly got my bag, my snack, lunch and drink bottle and went into the car and my mum dropped my off.
    I arrived at school and I went to class and got into my group and we all got into the bus. I was sitting next to Jack Craig on the bus. We arrived there and we got our snack and we started eating. I had chilli chips and it was yummy. Then, we went into the ScienceWorks building and we looked at all of the displays. It was fantastic, I learnt a lot of things from the displays.
    Then, it was time to go to The Lighting Show. When we went in it was so cool. The lady was talking about what types of lighting. From example, sometimes lightning strikes and then but shapes like a tree. Then the lady picked Alana to come up and then Alana untied her hair and her hair went up. It was so funny. The lady also showed how the lighting shocks people’s bodies. Then it was time to go.
    We had lunch and I had 6 chicken nuggets and we went to the sports area. We saw lots of things and then it was time to get back on the bus and leave.

from Joshua5

• Dear Joshua,

I really liked you recount, it was good and descriptive. I love how you added a lot of information and still made it sound interesting! Good job!

From: Taymin

23. ScienceWorks
    Everyone was so excited on Tuesday last week because we went on our excursion to Science Works. I liked it when we went to the lighting room. We had to eat our snack before we could get ready to go to the lightning room. Every one ate their snack quickly and we went.

We were in one huge line waiting to go inside the lightning room. Every one was talking about what we thought we might do inside. No one noticed the two ladies standing in front of the door waiting for us to settle down. The people in front of the line saw them and when the two ladies gave up, they led the people in front of the line inside, then every one else noticed them. We went inside and had a seat. I got the front row.

One of the ladies went to a special room to control the electricity. The other one stood and spoke to us about every thing. First they showed us a slide show of photos of lightning and clouds. After the presetation she got this silver, metal ball and called Alana to come to the front. Alana stood next to the ball and the tips of her hair started moving toward it.

The lady showed us how to make a cloud in a bottle. She put a bit of water in the bottle and then she called Rose out come out to the front. She got to use the air pump and pump it five times. The air went through a hose into the bottle. When she took the lid off, there was a cloud in a bottle! When Rose sat down, the lights went off. Then lightning that kept changing colour went swirling around a pole. I thought it was pritty amazing.

Then we saw lightning hit a fake plane, a car, a man with a golf stick in the air, a girl in a tree, and a girl in a bus stop. We had to work out what was safe. Then Addy was called up. She put headphones on and squashed a can. It was very loud. The can was squashed, it looked like a sand timer.

Then, it was time to leave and go on with our excursion. We did a big round of applause for the ladies and the teachers. Then we left row by row and could not stop chatting about how much fun we had.

By, Holly

24. Hi Recounters from Scienceworks!
    I was blown away by all the learning that you did at Scienceworks. you obviously saw lots of interesting stuff especially linking to science learning. You made it sound so interesting that I wanted to sign up to visit the place on the weekend. I think if you liked all that chemistry and physics, you will probably get a kick out of watching heston Blumenthal on master chef this week. I love the magic he makes in the kitchen but its all science really. My son used to love messing around in the kitchen making things that exploded. He always asked permission first though! Not good to experiment without someone helping you to keep safe. Keep on writing, I love to read your posts. Regards, Ms Ash

25. Science Works-Taymin

When my Community went to Science Works we did a lot of things like looked at all of the olden time technology and play outside. We got to test out sporting skills and see how fast we could run and we also learnt a lot too.

The first big thing we did was see the Lighting Show were we looked at lighting. We learned the different types of lightening strikes and what how to make clouds. We also got to see real lighting and see where you would be safe if you were in a storm with lighting.

The second show we saw was the “Cool Stuff” were we learnt about Liquid Nitrogen and what it does to different objects. When I went in there, I learnt that Liquid Nitrogen is SO cold, that if you touch it, it will BURN you. We saw that when you pour Liquid Nitrogen over a ballon it will go smaller quite fast but if you keep blowing on it it goes back to normal size.

What I really liked apart from the awesome shows, was the body test in the sport area. We got to see all of out body skills and what we could do. You were able to see your height, your weight, your arm span, how high you could jump, your heart rate, see if you could carry your own weight (I couldn’t) and see how fast your reflexes are, you can tell it was really fun!

I had the best time at Science Works and I’m sure everyone else did too. All of level 4 learnt so many things on our excursion and we all enjoyed it. I hope I can go to go back to Science Works again one day maybe not with my school but I want to do more things I didn’t get to do last time!

26. Hi Everyone,
    I really enjoyed reading some of the scienceWorks recounts they were interesting. Good job on yours Daniel6 it seemed like you had a fun time.
    From Jack2

27. Hi Everyone,
    I liked reading some of the recounts created by the students who explored scienceWorks. Good job Joshua for creating a good recount. I saw a few spelling mistakes but besides that it was great. From reading that recount I can tell you had a good time.
    From Jack2

28. Dear Steven,
    I thought that your recount was interesting, their were some mistakes I picked up. Mainly that you could have put a comma in the middle of some words to make it make sense. Those were the main problems with the story. But besides that you did a great story.
    Yours sincerely Jack2

29. Hi David,
    I enjoyed your story it was big interesting and when I read it I wanted to read more. I caught a few punctuation mistakes in your recount. One of them was that some of your sentences were to long so you, so it kept you reading and reading until you finally caught your breath. You could have put a few commas in. Another was that some of your sentences don’t make sense, you could of ended the sentence or put a comma in the middle of them to make it make sense. The last mistake is minor, some of the words that you wrote don’t have a letter that is needed in it. Like science works you didn’t add the s on the end. But in the end great story.
    Yours sincerely Jack2

30. Dear Everyone,

I really loved reading all your recounts you all did very well and put in a lot of effort. Good job and hope we can write some more recounts so I can read them and comment.

From Steven 🙂

31. Dear everyone,
    Sounds like you all had a fabulous time at Scienceworks. Cannot wait to hear about when you all go on camp 🙂
    From Sam (Holly’s Mum)